Kansas School Oral Health Screening Program (1029736) (revised 12-2011, reviewed 8/4/15)
The Bureau of Oral Health, Kansas Department of Health and Environment, wishes to thank the Delta Dental of Kansas Foundation, Children’s Mercy Family Health Partners, and Health Resources Service Administration (HRSA) for their support in this School Oral Health Screening Initiative.
MISSION of the Kansas Oral Health Screening Initiative:
To design and implement a statewide Children’s Oral Health Screening Program in Kansas schools that satisfies Kansas Law so children with dental disease can be identified and referred for treatment, and the screening data can be used for program planning at the Bureau of Oral Health.
This course provides official continuing education credit for Dental Professionals. All other professions may utilize the course certificate to self submit for education credit to their boards of practice.
Objectives - At the conclusion of this training learners will be able to:
- Describe how Kansas State Statute K.S.A. 72-5201 relates to schools and oral health screenings.
- Recognize why parental notification to parents is recommended.
- Define screening terminology.
- Organize OH screenings in your schools and select the appropriate supplies.
- Identify the roles of school nurse and oral health screener’s.
- Conduct oral health screenings that are consistent with other screeners statewide.
This training was developed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment; Bureau of Oral Health. It is designed to teach dental screeners in Kansas about the uniformed school screening process.
Many organizations and individuals contributed to this training. The screening protocols discussed are based on the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) screening guidelines. The Kansas school screening advisory council included local dentists, dental hygienists, nurses, safety net professionals along with other oral health advocates.
IMPORTANT: Course Navigation Instructions: Click Here
- This course includes a pre-test, handouts audio files, a post assessment which must be completed with an 80% accuracy, evaluation and a certificate of completion.
- Allow 2 hours to take this course.
- Make sure your Pop Up Blockers are OFF.
- Use Intenet Explorer as your browser and high speed internet service.
Test the compatibility of your computer for taking this online course:
» Click the Help button located on the KS-TRAIN taskbar, hompage.
» Left-hand menu click, 'Test Your Environment'.
» All of the checkmarks must be GREEN.
» If any of the links are RED click the link and follow the prompts.